How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a 19 year old part-time college student and I have

Resolved Question:

I''m a 19 year old part-time college student and I have a 5 month old son. Can my mother claim me as her dependent and I not claim myself on my return and claim only my son and still receive earned income credit?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


In order to answer correctly, we need to know if you lived with your mother (except for temporary absences such as atttending school).

Also, did you pay for more than one half of all the money that was spent to support you last year?

Where did your son live last year? If more than one location how much time in each?

Thanks for the information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to John Gordos EA's Post: I lived with my mother for 5 months in 2007. I also paid for 3/4 of my support in 2007. My son and I lived with my mother for 5 months and the remainder of the year at my own home.
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


Since you (or your child) did not live with your mother for more than one half of the year neither you or your son can be claimed as a qualifying child of your mother.

A qualifying child must have the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. See,,id=133298,00.html fro more information.

You and your son are also not able to be claimed by your mother as a qualifying relative. You because you provided more than one half of your support. Your son, because he is your qualifying child and so only if you do not need to file a return could your mother claim your son as a qualifying relative.

Sorry, your mother can not claim you as a dependent.

I hope this helps, even if it not the answer you would prefer.

Best wishes.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you