How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, played tournament video games for cash at ...

Resolved Question:

Hi, played tournament video games for cash at I just received a tax form from them stating that those winnings should be filed under 'Other Income' on a 1099 form. They state they only report the winnings minus the tournament costs to the IRS. They do not report the fees associated with any losses on the site. They state that I may be able to list this as well to reduce this income but I should contact a tax adviser. I was told by someone I should list this as self employed income, but I am not sure if that is correct. I already have a full-job and when I selected this on my taxes, most of it didn't apply to me. Any suggestions or help??
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.


You can file as self employed, if you are classified as a professional gambler; but most likely you are not. . It is rare to that a person who has other employment income could classify as a professional gambler.

On the other hand, you would count this as other income, sourced as gambling. But, you would be able to claim expenses of the winnings. So the apportioned cost of accessing the internet to place the wagers, the wager cost, etc.


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you