How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter worked in NJ for 6 months and then NY for 6 ...

Customer Question

My daughter worked in NJ for 6 months and then NY for 6 months for the same company. Does she have to report the entire years income on her NY state income tax form?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear nnj,

Thanks for your question.

Here is how this will is a fairly common occurance.

1. The money is considered earned in the state in which work was performed. So, both states will lay claim to the taxing of earnings for work performed in their state.

2. For the state in which she is a resident..her permanent abode or domicile, she has to report her world wide income, regardless of where it was earned. That state will give credit for taxes paid to other jurisidictions, so she will not be double taxed according to what the definition of double taxed is.

She may owe additional taxes only because of the differences in how taxable income is derived and the difference in tax rates between the two states.

3. The state for which she was not a resident will require either a non-resident return or part year resident return.

A resident or part year resident return is required if a person both resided and worked in the state for 183 days or more.


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much.

Matt Healy
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear Matt,

You are welcom, and best of luck to you.