How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in New Jersey, but I live in Pa. should I be paying

Resolved Question:

I work in New Jersey, but I live in Pa. should I be paying both taxes?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.
Dear dreyski1 -

New Jersey and Pennsylvania have a resiprocity agreement whereby residents of one state are not required to file returns in the other state if the only non-resident income is from wages. Your employer should either withhold your home state tax (PA) or not withhold any state tax and you would make quarterly estmated tax payments to PA. If your employer withheld NJ taxes, you should file as a non-resident and receive a full refund of the tax withheld. See page 12 of the instructions for Form PA-40, link below.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Steve's Post: they were previously withholding New Jersey taxes, now they are withholding New Jersey and Pennsylvania, what should I tell the company?
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.
They should only withhold Pennsylvania taxes.
MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you