Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have received a 1099-B form with all the information ...

Customer Question
I have received a 1099-B...
I have received a 1099-B form with all the information about my stock sales. Where in my return do I put information of the stock purchases? Also, do I have to list every stock sale I did or just the consolidated?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2008
Tax Professional: Bill, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent

Yes, you have to report each stock sale on Schedule D. The reason that you have to list each stock sale is because you have a different cost basis and a different holding period for each stock. Once you net your gains and losses the final figure is entered on line 13 of Form 1040.

Page D-6 - D-10 - describes the instructions by each line - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Reply to Bill's Post: So how about the stock purchase, where do I report that? Stock sale is schedule d, what about stock purchase? That is what I'm confused about.

Thanks for the information bill.

Schedule D requests information on both the purchase and the sale. You enter the date you purchased the stock in column (b) and your cost for the stock in column (e) on the Schedule D.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sd.pdf

Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent