How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a 1099-B form with all the information ...

Customer Question

I have received a 1099-B form with all the information about my stock sales. Where in my return do I put information of the stock purchases? Also, do I have to list every stock sale I did or just the consolidated?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

Yes, you have to report each stock sale on Schedule D. The reason that you have to list each stock sale is because you have a different cost basis and a different holding period for each stock. Once you net your gains and losses the final figure is entered on line 13 of Form 1040.

Page D-6 - D-10 - describes the instructions by each line -



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Bill's Post: So how about the stock purchase, where do I report that? Stock sale is schedule d, what about stock purchase? That is what I'm confused about.

Thanks for the information bill.
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

Schedule D requests information on both the purchase and the sale. You enter the date you purchased the stock in column (b) and your cost for the stock in column (e) on the Schedule D.