How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

husband started drawing social security retirement in 2007, ...

Customer Question

husband started drawing social security retirement in 2007, he had 23,000 income in addition to social security of 16,478, wife had 38,000 income. would it be better to file married filing seperately in order to avoid paying large taxes on his social security?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

It won't help to reduce taxes on your social security because the base amount is $0 rather than $32,000, (in the calculation to determine the amount taxable) if your filing status is married filing separately and you have lived together at any time of the year. Hence, your benefits become taxable at a much lower level of income.

See page 3 -