Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In business for one year. How do i file taxes for a ...

Customer Question
In business for one year...
In business for one year. How do i file taxes for a nonprofit. I think i know the answer but want to verify, use a 990? and not file a regular business tax form. please explain
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2008
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Customer

Assuming you are not a church, you would file Form 990-EC if you had $100,000 or less in receipts and $250,000 or less in assets. For amounts above that your would file Form 990. If your organization had $1,000 or more gross income from an unrelated business your would file Form 990-T.

Also, if you had less than $25,000 in receipts, you generally would not have a filing requirement.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Reply to Mark D's Post: we are a small nonprofit that offer scholarships to first time college students. What if we had zero reciepts for the first year but just expenses
Customer

Sounds like you would not have a filing requirement for last year then since the receipts are less than $25,000. Also, the form stated above should say 990-EZ and not 990-EC.Thank you!

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent