Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I inherit money from the UK, aside from paying UK

Customer Question
inheritance tax do I also...
If I inherit money from the UK, aside from paying UK inheritance tax do I also have to pay US inheritance tax? If yes do I pay on whats left after UK tax or on what was originally inherited?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

For a recipient of the inheritance - does not need to claim it as income. Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 30 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

In case you transfer the money to US - if the amount is more than $100,000, you are required to file form 3120 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf (see instructions for details - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i3520.pdf) to declare transfer from the foreign country. There is no tax associated with this form.

Please let me know if any clarification needed.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor