How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was given a divorce summons by my wife while I was ...

Resolved Question:

I was given a divorce summons by my wife while I was in Iraq. We had a rental & house with my name on the mortgage. She had/has a lot more money & property than I. After $35,000 defending myself we both agreed to just walk away. Since property & a rental was part of the marital property can I take any of the legal fees off my taxes?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Unfortunately - no.

Legal fees in connection with your divorce case are considered your personal expenses and may not be deducted. If you woul d be audited - the IRS will likely reject such deduction.

Only legal fees may be deducted that helped you to receive taxable income.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions