Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In 2007, the tax assessment on my home increased AND ...

Customer Question
In 2007, the tax assessment...
In 2007, the tax assessment on my home increased AND the borough made it retroactive to 2006. So I paid property taxes in 2007 related to 2006. Should I include the amount as part of my total 2007 real estate taxes paid, or should I amend my 2006 return to include the additional payment? (I think I include it in 2007, since that''s when the cash actually moved, but I want to be sure.) Thank you.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2008
Tax Professional: Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)

Even if the taxes related to 2006, if they were actually paid in 2007, you should report them as a deduction on your 2007 taxes.

I hope this helps!
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)