How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29656
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a 20 year old full time college student. He

This answer was rated:

My son is a 20 year old full time college student. He earned less than $4,000.00 in 2007. This money was through a grant but he got an earnings slip that says report as other income. My husband and I claim my son as a dependent. Do we have to report his earnings and does he have to file taxes himself?

Please refer to the IRS publication 501 for reference -

You may claim your son - assuming he is a full time student and doesn't provide more than 50% support for himself. You do not need to report your son's income on your return.

As long as your son - as a dependent - earned less than $5350 (in 2007) - he does not require to file tax return. However if any taxes were withheld from his paycheck - he would need to file to get his refund.

Please let me know if any clarification needed.

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you