How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Guy Behind the Tree Your Own Ques...
The Guy Behind the Tree
The Guy Behind the Tree, Experienced Investor & Financier
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1387
Experience:  Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the guy behind the tree.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
The Guy Behind the Tree is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not for profit status of international groups working here

Customer Question

A not for profit religous group regisitered as such in Ireland, maintains and funds an office at the UN. Donations are accepted from many places including US citizens. Can the UN office use the Ireland based charity's tax exemption or should they obtain their own 501(c)(3)?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  The Guy Behind the Tree replied 9 years ago.
The non-profit can register wherever they wish BUT for US taxpayers to be able to take a deduction for donations to the non-profit, the group will HAVE to be registered as a 501(c)(3).

Absent such a registration, their contributions are likely to be much less since donations to them from US taxpayers would not be deductible.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am not so sure that is the answer. I believe there is a tax form which US citizens can use to declare that they have given to an international charity and the charity in turn can give them a letter stating the name, address, amount of the gift and that "no goods or services were exchanged" in return for the donation.

What I need to know is how you qualify for tax exempt status in the US as an international not for profit?
Expert:  The Guy Behind the Tree replied 9 years ago.
Since you are not confident in my answer, I will Opt Out. Perhaps another Expert will respond.