How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited farm property in Kansas in 2000 which I now am ...

Resolved Question:

I inherited farm property in Kansas in 2000 which I now am thinking about selling. My residence is in Texas. How can I limit taxes? Can the proceeds be put directly in a retirement type account and pay taxes on only amounts taken from the account?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

The only way to defer taxes - purchase another similar property as part of section 1031 exchange. Otherwise - you will recognize taxable gain.

That likely will be long term gain with reduced tax rate. The basis for inherited property is a fair market value of the property on the day the decedent died (or another day if selected by the executor of the estate).

Moreover - as the property is located in Kansas - that will be Kansas income and state tax return and state taxes may due.

You may not defer taxes from capital gain by transferring the gain into retirement fund.

But you may make retirement contribution regardless of the capital gain if you qualify. That will reduce your taxable income.

You may also consider installment sale - so your capital gain will be spread over several years and would reduce tax pressure.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you