How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in PA. I received a signing bonus from a MN ...

Customer Question

I live in PA. I received a signing bonus from a MN company. I did not work in MN in 2007. The company withheld MN state tax. No PA state tax was paid on the income. Do I have to file a return in MN for refund and pay PA state tax plus penalties? I am receiving another signing bonus in 2008. How do I prevent this from happening again?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear hill,

You have to file a non-resident return for MN, and take what refund you get. The money was not earned in MN, so when you fill out the non-resident return, you will show all income earned in PA, and zero in MN, and you should get the entire amount refunded.

You would file a resident return in PA; who will give you credit for any taxes paid to MN.