Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a resident of Oregon but I am active Military in ...

Customer Question
I am a resident of...
I am a resident of Oregon but I am active Military in Hawaii. I am benificiary of money from my grand mother who passed away. What taxes if any do I need to Pay to Oregon?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

For a recipient of the inheritance - does not need to claim it as income. Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 30 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

Only if the inherited money were in tax deferred account - such as IRA, 401k, etc - and you are taking distribution from that account - the distributed amount will be your taxable income.

Oregon inheritance tax is levied on the value of the assets of the decedent. For 2007 an estate with a gross value of $1,000,000 or more should file an estate tax return. The unified credit amount is $345,800. - http://egov.oregon.gov/DOR/BUS/inher-general.shtml see also - http://egov.oregon.gov/DOR/BUS/inher-adv.shtml

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor