How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Guy Behind the Tree Your Own Ques...
The Guy Behind the Tree
The Guy Behind the Tree, Experienced Investor & Financier
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1387
Experience:  Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the guy behind the tree.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
The Guy Behind the Tree is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i made less than $3000 do i have to claim that on my taxes

Customer Question

on my w2 i made less than $3000 do i have to include that w2 when i file my taxes
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  The Guy Behind the Tree replied 9 years ago.
The IRS sets the level for “Who Must File” each year. If you are under 65 years old, the following responses apply for the 2006 tax year, some of them may be adjusted (but only slightly) for 2007.

If self-employed, you must file if you make earned more than $400 annually.

If you are claimed by someone else as a dependent, you must file if you earned more than $5150 annually, or over $850 in interest or dividend income.

If you are single and claim yourself as a dependent, you must file of you earned more than $8450.

Other filing status will have higher limits.

The details are shown here, see the charts Pages 12 and 13, at:

If you are entitled to refunds of any kind, you will have to file to get them.

If you file a return you will definitely have to include your W-2 wages.

Welcome to the wonderful world of us other taxpayers!