How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i put my 18 year old on my taxes as a dependent

Customer Question

my 18 year old stills lives home and i support him?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

Yes, you can claim your child as your dependent as long as certain requirements are met such as the child lived with you for more than half of the year, the child did not provide more than half of his or her own support for the year, and if the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of another person, you are the person entitled to claim the child. Other requirements that also must be met are listed in Publication 501. See page 10 for an overview -