Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim my sister-in-law on my taxes?

Customer Question
My sister-in-law lives with me...

My sister-in-law lives with me and does not work full time and we have paid for over 90% of her expenses in 2007. Can I claim her on my taxes?

Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2008
Tax Professional: Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent replied 10 years ago
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

From your description, it sounds like you can claim your sister-in-law on your tax return. I am assuming that she is an adult. However, there are a few additional requirements, such as the fact that she cannot have taxable income greater than $3,400 in 2007. I will post the dependency rules for you, and if you have additional questions, please let me know!

Dependency:

Rules for all dependents include:

• You cannot claim any dependent if you, or your spouse if filing jointly could be claimed by another taxpayer
  • You cannot claim a married person who filed a joint return unless that joint return is filed only for a refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse on separate returns
  • The dependent must be a US citizen, US resident, US national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the year

Qualifying Relative:

• The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of anyone else -Even if the person for whom the child is a qualifying child does not claim that child as a dependent
  • The person must be related to you as a parent, child, sibling or a descendent or ancestor of one of these. Steps, halves, and in-laws count. The end of a marriage does not end this relationship for tax purposes. If the person is not related to you in this manner (such as a cousin or unrelated person), that person has to live with you for the entire year.
  • The person's gross income must be less than the exemption amount ($3300 in 2006, $3400 in 2007)
  • You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year unless a multiple support agreement is in place

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent