Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do we have to pay taxes on selling farm land

Customer Question
My mother inherited farm land...
My mother inherited farm land. In 2000 we rented the land in MN for 5 years to my cousin. In the contract my mother had to put a FMV on the land, which was $1750.00 acre. In 2006 he finished renting and now is just leasing the land year to year. He wants to buy the land, so we said we would sell for $3000.00 an acre. My aunts CPA told her, that she would have to pay taxes on the difference between the $1750.00 and 3,000.00??
Does this make sense??
Thank you
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
1/4/2008
Tax Professional: Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)

It is correct that when you sell property you owe capital gains taxes on any increased value in the property over time. When you inherit property, your basis for tax purposes is the fair market value of the property at the time of the donor's death. Therefore, if $1750/acre was the FMV at the time of death and you sell for $3000/acre, your mother would owe taxes on $1250/acre as a capital gain. The maximum long term capital gain rate for real property is 15%, so the tax paid would be $187.50/acre.

Keep in mind, however, that there are things that could alter the taxable amount, such as any depreciation you took on the land while you owned it, or any costs you incurred to improve the property, or costs related to the sale (such as legal fees or broker commissions).

The other important issue to consider is whether the land was properly valued at the time your mother inherited it. It could very well be that the property should have been valued higher at the time. The burden, however is on your mother to show the valuation made in 2000 was incorrect. But if you think the land was worth more at the time, it may be worth paying a professional appraiser to appraise what the land was really worth at the time she inherited it. If we are talking about a lot of land, a reappraisal could be well worth it.

I hope this helps!

___________________

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)