Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a Connecticut business and have employees working

in several other states. The...
I am a Connecticut business and have employees working in several other states. The employees reside in those other states. Where do I find out whether I should be withholding taxes for those states. The other states are NY, MA, NJ, AZ, CA.
1/3/2008
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Do you have offices in these other States or the employees are working from home?
Reply to Renu V's Post: I do not have offices in AZ, CA, MA or NJ. However, I do have a secondary office in NYC. I am a low voltage electrical contractor. I hire people in the above states for long term (6 months to 1 year) construction projects I have going on. There may be additional states in the future. Do I need to register with each state I hire people in and if so, where do I get the information for registering and where to send withheld taxes?

Since you have projects going on in these states, you will be required to register with these states and withhold taxes from employee paycheck and remit the taxes to the State. You can get information on registering from each of the States website. Let me know if you need a link and I will try to research and get that for you.

I will however advise you to use one of the payroll services since it is difficult to keep track of the payroll liabilities and filings when various states are involved.

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Renu V - I would appreciate a link for those states information. I am using Quickbooks Premier Accountant 2008 and would prefer to do the payroll myself. Quickbooks appears to be very good about what is due when, I just need to know the reporting agencies so I can set up online payments through Quickbooks. Thank you for your help.

CAlifornia

http://www.edd.ca.gov/taxrep/taxreg.htm

MA

https://web2.detma.org/Revenue/ereg/employer/ereg_e01_welcome.aspx?bhcp=1

NJ

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/employer/ea/empreg/earegindex.html

This is also one of the comprehensive link including AZ. This may help.

http://www.payroll.com/support/stateforms.html#Arizona

Renu V - Thank you for the links. It looks like that should be enough to get me started. I appreciate your help and will include a bonus.
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)