How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of New York State and have recently changed ...

Resolved Question:

I am a resident of New York State and have recently changed jobs. My emoployer resides in New Jersey and I have been told is not registered in New York State. Thus, they cannot collect or remit taxes to NYS. They did however, withhold New Jersey tax. I am actually working from home, not in New Jersey and am paid on a W-2. Does this mean that I have to pay an estimated tax to NYS quarterly? I am confused about what is required.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 9 years ago.

Yes, being a resident of NY, you will owe taxed in NY State.

Since the employer does not have a presence in NY, he is not required to register in NY and withhold tax on your wages. YOu will have to pay quarterly tax payments to NYS.

You might want to inform your employer to not withhold any taxes in NJ since your services are rendered from NY and not in NJ.


Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you