How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently discovered on my credit report that I owe ...

Customer Question

I recently discovered on my credit report that I owe taxes on property I owned when I was married to my ex wife.When my ex wife and I divorced,she got the house.This was in 1988.I made a big mistake and didn''t sign a Quit Claim until 1993.In the mean time my ex didn''t pay property taxes for 1991 and 1992 until she sold the house in 1993.About a year ago I applied for a loan at Chase for $2500.00 and was denied.They wouldn''t tell me why.I applied for a loan at Citifinancial and thats when I discovered this problem on my credit report.I did get the loan but the interest rate is 27%.Over the last 15 years I have ben denied on several loans and credit cards.I could get a credit card but never for the full amount they offered.Do I have the right to sue for Defamation of Character or these outrageous Interst rates I''ve been paying for all these years? Thank You.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


You have a right to sue whenever you believe that you have been wronged.Unfortunately, that does not mean that a suit would be successful. One way to judge the likely success would be to consult with an atotorney and see if you can have the case litigated on a contingency basis. If there is much change of success you should be able to find an attoreny that is willing to work for a portion of the proceeds.

In this case, I doubt you will be able to find an attorney to take the csae on a contingency basis. The public records that still isted you as an owner during the time your ex did pay the taxes and the reliance on those public records is very likely enough to prove that the assessor and the credit agencies that relied on the public records did use due diligence and ordinary care and that they were not negligent and they had no intention to harm you when they used those records.

As you said, "I made a big mistake and didn''t sign a Quit Claim until 1993" Since that misinformation can be pointed to by those that granted you credit are not likely to be held responsible in a suit for damages.

I hope this helps; even though it is likely not what you wanted to hear.

Best regards.