How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in Maryland BUT live in Delware. I found out today ...

Resolved Question:

I work in Maryland BUT live in Delware. I found out today that my company that I work for has never taken Maryland nor Delaware state taxes out of my check, which we get paid every other week. What do I need to do? I file jointly with my husband.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Hi there, unfortunately Delaware and Maryland do not have a reciprocal agreement for tax payment.

This means that you will need to file a non-resident return for Maryland (you can file jointly) and report your earnings on your Delaware resident return.

Your employer should have withheld Maryland state tax (not county tax).

You will need to pay tax to MD on your earnings, and you will be allowed a credit for taxes imposed by another jurisdiction on your Delaware return.

See the DE website which will explain this situation, scroll down to DELAWARE RESIDENT WORKING OUT OF STATE

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: My question is what can I do about the taxes that wasn't taken out for Maryland and should I contact someone in Maryland to find out if I need to pay the taxes that should have been taken out in the first place by my employer??
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Dear Worried,

You will need to file a Maryland non-resident return to report your MD income. You most likely will have a balance due to pay to MD. If you are still working for this company, you should advise your employer to begin withholding MD state tax immediately.

Wendy Reed and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you