How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I tell if my mother is my mother is doing something ...

This answer was rated:

How can I tell if my mother is my mother is doing something illegal with a Trust Fund set up by my father & mother? My dad has had alzheimers and a couble of years ago she got Power Of Attorney & immediately moved him into a nursing home. Whenever I need some help I would get a check from the Trust account. Now she has any monies coming from an account setup by my brother in his name and she pays him. She claims it is for taxes, etc. Can anybody help clear this up for me? The times I have tried to ask about this, she clams up and gets this "evil" look.


There is nothing in the information you have given, that might point to illegal activity other than your mother's response.

The only way you can know is to see a copy of the trust and the power of attorney to see if the trust and the power of attorney rules are being violated.

This this end, you can hire an attorney and file a petition in probate or superior court to have the trust audited to gether with the terms of the power of attorney.


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: Hello Mr. Johnson,
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it would require a lawyer, but i just wanted to find out for sure. Thank you for your help. I was also interested in finding out about a possible Personal Injury case. In July 2007 I was putting garbage out when I tripped and fell because of several potholes in the parking area. I was in the hospital for 3 mths. This is just a brief summary.


This would be a second question. However I will answer it as a follow on.

Cities and states are subject to cause of action law suits and claims regarding these types of trip and fall accidents.

Many have a process for filing a slip and fall claim, rather than a process of lawsuits. Again, and attorney who specializes in slip and fall would be needed in order to proceed with a claim. The claims process is usually set up to allow a simple filing of a claim without an attorney, but is generally limited to signing a disclaimer barring further ligitagation and only cover cost of medical care. If you seek larger compensation to cover disability, pain and suffering, you will need an attorney.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you