How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a military spouse that is now seperated from my

Resolved Question:

I''m a military spouse that is now seperated from my husband. I want to now file seperately but am curious if I still get the tax exemption?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.


You may file separately, and take your own personal tax exemption ($3400) on your tax return.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I'm not sure if I worded that correctly. I was under the assumption that I would be exempt from paying federal taxes sue to my husband being in the military. But would I have to file with him to get that exeption
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.


Although there are some tax benefits of being a member of the military, not having to pay any federal taxes is generally not one of them. Combat pay is generally tax free, but regular earnings are not, and your own earnings would not be tax free just because you are a military spouse.

You may be interested in the following information:,,id=120507,00.html,,id=97273,00.html