Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

my wife and myself are seperated.. i just found out that ...

my wife and myself are seperated.. i just found out that she hasnt filed for 2005 and 2006 income taxes. she has all the paperwork and is stalling.. we are no longer living together. and i need to cover myself.. what can I do..
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Hello there,

Assuming you are not legally separated, you can either file jointly with your spouse or separately.

To file jointly, both spouses must consent and sign tax return.

It is your responsibility to file your tax return each year. If your spouse will not consent to file jointly, then you should file married filing separately status for 2005 and 2006. You will need to obtain whatever paperwork that you need (or copies) so that you can file your own tax returns.

If she will not part with the paperwork, you should try to assemble it the best you can, such as asking employers for duplicate W2, asking banks for duplicate 1099, etc.