How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife and myself are seperated.. i just found out that ...

Resolved Question:

my wife and myself are seperated.. i just found out that she hasnt filed for 2005 and 2006 income taxes. she has all the paperwork and is stalling.. we are no longer living together. and i need to cover myself.. what can I do..
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Hello there,

Assuming you are not legally separated, you can either file jointly with your spouse or separately.

To file jointly, both spouses must consent and sign tax return.

It is your responsibility to file your tax return each year. If your spouse will not consent to file jointly, then you should file married filing separately status for 2005 and 2006. You will need to obtain whatever paperwork that you need (or copies) so that you can file your own tax returns.

If she will not part with the paperwork, you should try to assemble it the best you can, such as asking employers for duplicate W2, asking banks for duplicate 1099, etc.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you