How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I put my property in a trust for my children so they ...

Resolved Question:

Can I put my property in a trust for my children so they will not have to pay taxes on it after I die?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

Yes you could contribute property to an irrevocable trust for their benefit and it would avoid being included in your estate for estate tax purposes. However, any property you contribute to the trust would be considered a gift to the beneficiaries of the trust and if the gifts exceed $12,000 per beneficiary per year then you will have to file a gift tax return. You will not have to actually pay gift taxes until your total lifetime excess gifts (gifts in excess of $12,000 per beneficiary per year) exceed $1,000,000. Upon your death these excess gifts are added back to your estate for purposes of determining whether federal estate taxes are due. In 2008, $2,000,000 is exempt from federal estate taxes and $3,500,000 is exempt in 2009.

One type of trust that some taxpayers use to increase the amount of assets that their heirs inherit tax-free is an irrevocable life insurance trust. This type of trust would purchase a life insurance policy on your life and you would make contributions to the trust each year to pay for the premiums. These contributions are treated as gifts to the beneficiaries of the trust and certain procedures must be followed to ensure compliance with gifting rules. Upon your death the life insurance is not considered part of your estate and the life insurance proceeds are income tax free.



Bill and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you