How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and i want to change or delete one of our ...

Resolved Question:

My husband and i want to change or delete one of our trustees in our Living Trust. Do we name a new trustee or simply delete the present trustee and have a signed agreement among ourselves and have it notarized?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


Generally, the trust agreement will have provisions to appoint the initial trustee and will also dictate when and how a successor trustee will be appointed. In most cases it is not necessary to amend the trust agreement to change trustees.

If you want to change trustees in any manner which is not in accordance with the trust agreement as originally adopted then you will have to amend the trust agreement before you can make such a change.

Some caution should be taken to ensure that all the formalities are followed so it may be best to have the attorney that originally formed the trust make any changes that are needed (or at least be consulted before changes are made) .

I hope this helps for the general rules for changing a trustee.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you