How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Employee tax in two states

This answer was rated:

My business is in SC. We have an employee who lives in GA. Are we required to deduct and pay both SC and GA payroll taxes?
Do you have an office or a business location in GA? Is the employee working from home office?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No office or business location in GA. She frequently brings work home to finish, however our office is in Bath SC where she works. Of course, Georgia wants the tax money, and they want it tomorrow. So I really need advise today.

Since you do not have any business presence in GA, you are not required to register for employment in GA and deduct payroll taxes and pay to the State. You may do so to accomodate your employee.

Your employee, however, is required to make arrangements to pay the State tax in GA.


Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you