Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My fiancee and I live together in a home which we rent. We ...

Customer Question
My fiancee and I live...
My fiancee and I live together in a home which we rent. We also have a 10 month old daughter, which I am claiming on my taxes! In 2007 I only made $13,676 after taxes were taking out! I have been doing some research online and I was wondering if I could file for head of household? I don't really have any other deductions besides my daughter. We do split the bills in the house! If I could, how much could I deduct? or would I be better off just filing as a single mother?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
1/1/2008
Tax Professional: Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

Dear XXXXX, you might benefit from filing as head of household. This filing status allows you to take a higher standard deduction and generally lower tax rate.

But, due to very small tax liability, filing status might not make a difference at all. For example, your refund would be the same whether you filed HH or single with one dependent if your income was 17K. At 27K, there would be a difference.

You should file taxes at the same time as your fiancee to see which would benefit more by claiming your daughter, presuming that you may both claim her as a dependnet.

Head of household status requires a qualfiying person, in this case your dependent daughter, and you are required to provide more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up a home.

Let me know if you n eed more info.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Amanda, would you like to give me some income information and I can do an estimate for you?
I am sorry but I did not get this question until now!! But yes, if you are available I would give you the income info and you could do an estimate for me! I am pregnant again and due in august and I would like to know if I will have enough money to go and get married with my tax return! Thank you so much I really appreciate it just let me know what you need to know about my income!

Wow, you'll have a full house soon!

Keep in mind, once you get married, you will be filing married joint, no longer single or head of household. But for 2007, if you would like to give me your approximate income for the year (before tax, meaning gross), and the amount of federal withholding I can estimate refund. Also, if you want to give me this info for your fiance also--we could do a comparison.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent