How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have just found out our daughter has extremly bad ...

Resolved Question:

We have just found out our daughter has extremly bad allergies and need to replace all of our carpet with hardwoods or tile. Can any portion of this be a tax deduction since it is for Medical reasons?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.


You may be entitled to a partial deduction for the improvements.

You would take the value of your home after the improvement and subtract the value of your home before the improvement. If this amount is less than the cost of the improvement, the difference would be includible as a medical expense.

I have included a link to IRS Publication 502. See page 6 regarding capital expenditures.


MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions