How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to DC from California in May 2007. I work in ...

Resolved Question:

I moved to DC from California in May 2007. I work in Maryland and the relocation money the company gave me was taxed in Maryland. Can I get a refund on the relocation income that was taxed in Maryland? Since I left CA on May 21 and didn''t start work until June 11 can I file non resident in both CA and DC?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.


You are required to file as a part year resident of both CA and DC. You will also file as a nonresident of Maryland. Because you are are DC resident, you are exempt from Maryland tax. You will file the MD nonresident return and all withholding will be refunded.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Steve's Post: Steve,

It is not clear to me from the CA540NR form if I'm only being taxed on what I earned in CA since they want the gross adjusted income from the Federal 1040.   The CA deduction worksheet that comes with CA540NR isn't shedding light on this. The instructions imply I cannot deduct income earned outside of CA.

If that is the case then it seems unfair and I will owe CA significant money. The DC form D-40 does seem to allow deduction of money earned as a non-resident and has an out-of-state income tax credit.

Otherwise my returns are simple. No property, capital gains etc.

It does seem that I should be able to get back taxes withheld in MD as income for relocation expenses.

Let me know if you can shed light on whether I need to pay state tax in CA on my entire years income and can subsequently deduct income from my DC return and get credit for state income tax paid in CA.


Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 years ago.

Dear XXXXX -

If you review CA Schedule 540NR CA, you will see that in column E, you will only be taxed on your CA income. I have provided links to the schedule and instructions below.



MequonCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you