How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i make 60,000 on a 1099 how much will owe the irs

This answer was rated:

No Comment Added

If you receive a 1099 for services performed then you are considered an independent contractor and required to file form Schedule C as a sole proprietor. As a sole proprietor in addition to income tax you will also have to pay self-employment SE (social security) tax. The SE tax on $60,000 will be approximately $8,478 (you do receive an adjustment for 50% of this on your 1040). Your income tax if you file as a single individual and do not itemize will be approximately $8,177. So your total federal income tax will be approximately $16,655 ($8,478 + $8,177).,,id=98846,00.html


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
(you do receive an adjustment for 50% of this on your 1040). what does this mean

That means that 50% of your SE tax ($8,478 x .50 = $4,239) is entered as an adjustment to income on line 27 of Form 1040 which in turn reduces your adjusted gross income of $60,000 to $55,761 resulting in a reduction of income tax.


Bill and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you