How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

why is my state taxable income greater than my federal ...

This answer was rated:

why is my state taxable income greater than my federal taxable income on my 2006 tax forms?


There are many reasons your state taxable income could be higher than your federal income. I'll provide a few:

  1. Personal exemptions, Federal $3,300/ea, MS $1,500/ea, children only.
  2. Itemized deductions, state income tax is deductible for federal purposes, not state.
  3. Interest income from municipal bonds is taxable state and not federal.
MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Steve's Post: Steve,
Thanks for the prompt response. Since I've never used JustAnswer before, I was a little skeptical. :-)

Do you know anything about TurboTax for the Web? That is how I prepared my taxes and I was going over them again(sure, LATE)and realized the large discrepancy. I wonder if I should have had TurboTax reload my State form after I made changes to my federal information. I thought it would be automatic but it might not have been.

I may have to submit an amendment to the state...but don't want to do it wrong.

Dear jxfrobert -

Sorry, I can't help you on turbo tax. If you can print the forms you should be able to see where the differences lie. The MS return includes most of the same line items as the federal return so the search should be easy.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the help!