Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there a minimum earnings before paying taxes What if ...

Is there a minimum earnings...
Is there a minimum earnings before paying taxes? What if you live on Soc. Sec. only?
10/26/2007
David Schneider
David Schneider, Enrolled Agent
There is indeed an amount of income that must be reached before you have a "Filing Requirement". That amount depends on a number of things such as your age, marital status, and sources of income. It can sometimes be complicated and there is no one answer fits all. Follow this link for further information.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#d0e585

good luck
David Schneider
David Schneider, Enrolled Agent
Am in the 80 age range....unmarried....and live on Soc. Sec. ihncome under $2000...Will this help answer my question?
Thanks for responding. Is that social security amount per month?
Yes this is my Social Sec. amt. per month..thanks for responding.
If that is the extent of your income you are a long way from having any tax to pay. You do not have a filing requirement under these circumstances. Bear in mind though, that if your circumstances do change you may once again have a filing requirement. Many communities have programs to help seniors monitor their tax situations. You might check with a local senior center or look at the AARP website for a program near you.

Good luck.
David Schneider
David Schneider
David Schneider, Enrolled Agent