How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Schneider Your Own Question
David Schneider
David Schneider, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 116
Experience:  Enrolled Agency is issued by the Dept of Treasury to those who demonstrate knowledge of the tax code
Type Your Tax Question Here...
David Schneider is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a minimum earnings before paying taxes What if ...

This answer was rated:

Is there a minimum earnings before paying taxes? What if you live on Soc. Sec. only?
There is indeed an amount of income that must be reached before you have a "Filing Requirement". That amount depends on a number of things such as your age, marital status, and sources of income. It can sometimes be complicated and there is no one answer fits all. Follow this link for further information.

good luck
David Schneider and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Am in the 80 age range....unmarried....and live on Soc. Sec. ihncome under $2000...Will this help answer my question?
Thanks for responding. Is that social security amount per month?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes this is my Social Sec. amt. per month..thanks for responding.
If that is the extent of your income you are a long way from having any tax to pay. You do not have a filing requirement under these circumstances. Bear in mind though, that if your circumstances do change you may once again have a filing requirement. Many communities have programs to help seniors monitor their tax situations. You might check with a local senior center or look at the AARP website for a program near you.

Good luck.