Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How many copies of a 1099 does an employer send out?

As an employer, to whom...

As an employer, to whom do I send 1099-Misc: copy B (recipient) and the IRS? Does the recipient also get a copy to file with the state?

10/4/2007
Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, Accountant

Your 1099-MISC forms will be distributed as follows:

Copy A files with IRS.
Copy 1 file with the State Tax Department.
Copy B goes to the recipient.
Copy 2 goes to the recipient for State filing.
Copy C is for the payer.

Hopefully, that clears it up for you. Copy B and Copy 2 go to the recipient for filing

Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, Accountant

Understood. Thank you. finally, we have to file electronically with the IRS since we are over 250 recipients - is electronic required in Georgia under the same rule?

Georgia does seem to participate in the IRS 1120 program as they indicate here:

http://www.etax.dor.ga.gov/inctax/corp_efile.aspx

That would mean they follow the same 1120 rules and regulations as the Federal program.

Thank you, ***** ***** worth the money to get a quick and professional answer here!

Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, Accountant