Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How much taxes do I pay on $5000.00?

Customer Question
My pay check is going...

My pay check is going to be $5000. How much am I going to get after taxes are taken out?

Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2007
Tax Professional: Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent replied 10 years ago
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

The amount of taxes withheld depend on the pay period (weekly, monthly etc.) and what you put on your W4 - such as single or married, and the number of exemptions. If you can give me this information for your paycheck, I can give you the approximate withholding amounts.

The check is actually a bonus but taxes will be taken out of it. I am trying to figure out how much I will actually get after the taxes are taken out.

Your employer has a couple of options regarding how to withhold for a bonus, or supplemental, check. He could use your W4 guidelines and treat it as a regular paycheck, or he could use bonus amount, which is 25% federal withholding. Most employers use this method for convenience.

Assuming a 5000 check, computed as an annual bonus (and you have not exceeded 97.5K in salary this year):

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">Your Pay Check Results

Annual Gross Pay

$5,000.00

Federal Withholding

$1,250.00

Social Security

$310.00

Medicare

$72.50

Kentucky

$59.00

Net Pay

$3,308.50

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent