Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My social Security number was entered wrong on my ...

Customer Question
My social Security number was...
My social Security number was entered wrong on my tax return. How can I correct it?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
6/5/2007
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 10 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you filed electronically - your tax return would likely be rejected on the next day because the IRS computer match SSN and names on the return.

If you mail your return - information will be entered into computer and the mistake will be catched. The IRS would likely contact you via mail.

You may contact the IRS calling 1-800-829 - 1040 to inform about your mistake and verify if your return already in the system.

You may resubmit your return with corrected information. Add a statement about your mistake.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Reply to Lev's Post: Does this apply to a Illinois State Tax return?
Reply to Lev's Post: does this apply to a Illinois state tax return?
All I need to know is if your answer applies to a State of Illinois Tax return as well as a federal tax return Yes or No? Thanx
Relist: I still need help.
Does the answer apply to a Illinois state tax return?
Relist: I still need help.
My social security number was entered wrong on my Illinois state tax return - That was the question you answered for a tax return in general when I asked did it apply to a Illinois STATE TAX RETURN. Can I still get an answer?

Sorry, for delay,

yes - Illinois Department of Revenue uses SSN as a primary key to track tax returns. All above will be correct for Illinois tax return.

Only contact information will be - 1(NNN) NNN-NNNNor 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 am - 5 pm.

You also may contact a local office:

James R. Thompson Center
Concourse Level
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IllinoisNNN-NN-NNNN1(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Maine North Regional BuildingXXXXXbr />Des Plaines, IllinoisNNN-NN-NNNN1(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor