How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a non-resident, non-US citizen pay income

Resolved Question:

Does a non-resident, non-US citizen pay income taxes or capital gain taxes on investments made in the US?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 years ago.

yes, non-resident are required to file tax return and will likely have tax obligations. The form 1040NR is used -

each person would need to apply for ITIN -

General withholding rate for non-residents is 30% unless another rate is set by tax treaty.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you