Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received my W2 from my employer with wages being $9204 ...

I received my W2 from...
I received my W2 from my employer with wages being $9204 (gross) for 52 x 177 weeks. I only worked their for 41 weeks. So I fiquered my gross as $7257 or 177 x 41. My employer has already sent the first amount ($9204) in to the IRS. I am in the process of getting my done. They are trying to see what is the best route to take. My employer is saying that we owe you $207. What is the best solution to my problem? I really need to know what my employer should do. Do they owe me? Should I file a correction to my W2 form or what?

Thanks for your wonderful help in advance
T. Gates, KY
4/24/2007
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Dear T. Gates,

If your employer has made an error on your W2, it is your employer's responsibility to correct the W2, and issue a new one to you, to the IRS and to the Social Security administration. The employer must file a W2c (corrected wage and tax statement. Here is a link to instructions for an employee to follow if he notices that a W2 is incorrect: (page 5) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw2.pdf

Here are the acutal instructions for your employer to file the W2c:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2cw3c.pdf

I am not sure why your employer is stating that he or she owes you money, but if they do, and they pay you now, it should not be added to your 2006 W2, it should be recorded on a 2007 W2.

If you have already filed your 2006 tax return, you should file an amended return once you receive the corrected W2.

Please disregard the Info request, it should have been listed as an answer:

Dear T. Gates, If your employer has made an error on your W2, it is your employer's responsibility to correct the W2, and issue a new one to you, to the IRS and to the Social Security administration. The employer must file a W2c (corrected wage and tax statement. Here is a link to instructions for an employee to follow if he notices that a W2 is incorrect: (page 5) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw2.pdf Here are the acutal instructions for your employer to file the W2c: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2cw3c.pdf I am not sure why your employer is stating that he or she owes you money, but if they do, and they pay you now, it should not be added to your 2006 W2, it should be recorded on a 2007 W2. If you have already filed your 2006 tax return, you should file an amended return once you receive the corrected W2.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent