How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WebTaxMan Your Own Question
WebTaxMan, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 922
Experience:  20+ Years experience-CPAs & My Own Business/IRS Authorized e-file Provider/CA Tax Education Council
Type Your Tax Question Here...
WebTaxMan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you write off assisted living costs for someone who ...

Resolved Question:

can you write off assisted living costs for someone who needs help dressing, showering, transferring to and from bed, can no longer cook for self
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  WebTaxMan replied 10 years ago.

Is the person needing assistance living in your home? Can you tell me a bit more about your situation so I can give you a more precise answer?



Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to WebTaxMan's Post: This is regarding the taxes for my mother. She leaves in an assisted living facility. Her mobility is limited - walker for short distances, wheelchair for longer. She needs help showering, dressing, transferring to and from bed. She can no longer cook for herself and she is not able to manage her own medications any longer. We believe that this qualifies her assisted living costs as medically deductible - but are not 100% sure. We are doing her taxes now.
Expert:  WebTaxMan replied 10 years ago.
Hi Pam,

I see you are referring to HIPPA from 1996. The rules are complicated. Generally, if you feel you meet the conditions, you may be able to deduct the medical expenses, but also remember that the expenses are deducted on Sch A which means you need to have an amount to itemize first, then it is subject to 7.5% over the adjusted gross income. I do not know your particular situation, so I am unable to give you a yes or no answer. However, you may read more about this deduction here, and get back to me with questions. The following are to particulars, so to speak.

In order to take advantage of deductions:
• A taxpayer first must be entitled to itemize his or her deductions; and
Personal care services and other unreimbursed medical care expenses must exceed 7.5% of the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income.

Generally, a taxpayer can deduct the medical care expenses of his or her parent if the taxpayer provides more than 50% of the parent’s support costs.

Should you require further clarification, please never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify the answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

If you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT button. Feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!



WebTaxMan and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you