Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Should a sale of mineral rights be reported on Schedule D

Customer Question
Mineral rights for 95 acres...
Mineral rights for 95 acres with a basis of $57000 were sold for $76000 in 2006. What is the proper way to report the profit of $19000?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
4/7/2007
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 10 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Royalties from oil, gas, and mineral properties are taxable as ordinary income.

You generally report royalties in Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040). However, if you hold an operating oil, gas, or mineral interest or are in business as a self-employed writer, inventor, artist, etc., report your income and expenses on Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040).

If you sell your complete interest in mineral rights, the amount you receive is considered payment for the sale of section 1231 property, not royalty income. Under certain circumstances, the sale is subject to capital gain or loss treatment on Schedule D (Form 1040).

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor