Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

is there a age you can stop paying school taxs

Customer Question
my dad is 78 years...
my dad is 78 years old he was told he can stop paying school taxs at 75 it that true
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
4/4/2007
Tax Professional: Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD) replied 10 years ago
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)

Rules vary greatly depending on the jurisdiction. Where does your father live?

Thanks.
Reply to Guru_Guy's Post: williamsport pennsylvania

There is not exlicit age that allows a person in Pennsylvania to stop paying school taxes. In Williamsport, as in most of Pennsylvania, school taxes are funded by a combination of earned income taxes and property taxes. So if a senior still has a job and earns income, he would be subject to pay income taxes for the school on that money. However, retirement income is not subject to the income tax.

As for property taxes, all property owners must pay them, regardless of age. However, the State of Pennsylvania offers a rebate of up to $650 to low income seniors. You must make less than $35,000 per year and be over age 65 to qualify for the rebate.

This documents provides more details:

http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/revenue/lib/revenue/2006_pa-1000_book.pdf

But to answer your question directly, there is no exemption for people age 75 and over.

I hope this helps!

Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)