How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can you claim your rent on your income tax return im ...

Customer Question

can you claim your rent on your income tax return?? im a single person i claim 0
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 10 years ago.

Hi there,

Personal rent, such as for an apartment is not a deduction for your Federal tax return. Certain states may have rental deduction/credit for state tax return.

Rent that involves business, such as rental of office space or business equipment would be a business deduction. If you claim business use of home deduction you may also be able to deduct a portion of your rent.