How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Revels Your Own Question
Jim Revels
Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 210
Experience:  Providing income tax / planning services for over 16 years on all entity and individual tax issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jim Revels is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a self-employed sole proprietor deduct rent on ...

Resolved Question:

Can a self-employed sole proprietor deduct rent on Schedule C for a building that he owns personally and reports on Scedule E?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jim Revels replied 10 years ago.

I just came across this issue in an IRS audit for a new client of mine. Their former accountant was using this strategy (that you outline above). They are disallowing this as an expense under this situation. The IRS has taken the position that in fact you are just paying yourself and will not allow this type of related transaction.

However if it is structured as follows it is acceptable. The building should be held in a limited partnership with an LLC as the general partner and you and someone else as the limited partners. You convert your Schedule C (sole proprietorship) to any other form of activity LLC, S-corp, etc. Then you have the newly created entity LLC, S-corp etc. rent the building from the Limited partnership addressed above. THis is the way to audit proof the transaction that you want to benefit from.

Jim Revels and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you