How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who claims the child for taxes if the child turns 18 before ...

Customer Question

Who claims the child for taxes if the child turns 18 before the end of the year? My husband paid child support for the child until she turned 18 in Oct. 2006. The divorce decree says he can claim her through 18 years.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 10 years ago.

Hello there,

If the exact wording of your divorce states that your ex can claim her "through" 18 years or through age 18, then that would include the year that she turns 18. After this however, the divorce stipulation will no longer apply and the regular rules of dependency apply--meaning that if you are the custodial parent, your ex cannot claim your daughter unless you give permission by use of Form 8332 or equivalent.