Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

Is there a way to take off a lawn mower on taxes

Customer Question

Is there a way to take off a lawn mower on taxes? Could I deduct it as a farm expense if we use it to mow the yard at the barn? Is there a way to somehow include the lawn mower as farm equipment? We already have farm deductions.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.

DearCustomer

A lawn mower very well could be a farm expense. However if it is also used to mow the grass of your residence, you have to apportion the personal and farm use. I am not sure that would be worth your time.

IF it is a riding mower, it may be worth while, but if it is a push mower, you are only talking about a few dollars when you start apportioning. ONe person I know apportioned a push mower between rental property and home use, and ended up with a depreciation deduction of 2.50.