How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29656
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i deduct cost of handicap van for disabled

Customer Question

purchased a wheelchair van in 2006 for
transportation back & forth to doctor's
have multiple sclerosis can I use this
as a tax deduction?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 years ago.

According to IRA publication 502 - you may deduct transportation expenses amounts paid for transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care.

You can include out-of-pocket expenses, such as the cost of gas and oil, when you use a car for medical reasons. You cannot include depreciation, insurance, general repair, or maintenance expenses.

If you do not want to use your actual expenses, for 2006 you can use a standard rate of 18 cents a mile for use of a car for medical reasons.

You can also include parking fees and tolls. You can add these fees and tolls to your medical expenses whether you use actual expenses or use the standard mileage rate.

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for an autoette or a wheelchair used mainly for the relief of sickness or disability, and not just to provide transportation to and from work. The cost of operating and maintaining the autoette or wheelchair is also a medical expense.

Related Tax Questions