How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I tell if the IRS will hold my tax refund for a ...

Resolved Question:

How can I tell if the IRS will hold my tax refund for a past due student loan?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.


You would be told of any offset that was filed. HOwever, notice sometimes does not come until just before the offset has occured.

You should check the status of your return at:

Then contact the lender and ask them if they are referring it or do you still have a chance to pay this off.


Ed Johnson and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Ed Johnson's Post: I have had this done to me before without any notice given to me. I then started to repay my loan through a repayment company. But, I became unemployed for a few months and was unable to continue payments. I have not started to repay the loan yet as I have now found employement. And I was wondering if the IRS would hold my refund again. I have not been notified of them doing so. I have not filed yet in fear that my refund will be held. What can I do? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.


This is a dilema, I know. Unfortunately, if the offset has already been filed, then there is nothing you can do at this point. Even if you pay the debt, it takes time for the agency to successfully withdraw the offset. Also, it may not be that easy, because even though you pay the debt, the offset can include the cost and expense of getting the legal documentation to refer the debt to the offset program. At least they will want to recoup those expenses.

My best advice, to avoid a penalty with the IRS and give you the time to act, is to file an extension. You must include a small payment with the extension, even if you expect a refund. I recommend a 50 dollar payment. This will give you until August to fix things up.