How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How would you find out if someone has carried your ...

Resolved Question:

How would you find out if someone has carried your child and they wasn't suppose to? I need to know if someone filed my child on their taxes?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 10 years ago.

Hi there,

you cannot find out if someone already claimed your child for any tax benefits (unless that person tells you that they did) without actually filing your return and claiming your child if you are entitled to. If you try to file electronically with your child's social security number and your return is rejected because of the use of the child's number, you will know that someone already used the number. In this case, if you are legally allowed to claim the child, you must file a paper return. The IRS will eventually investigate both claims, but if you have the legal right to claim the child, this will not be your problem.

Wendy Reed and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: I am the mother of the child and I did not work last year so no one was suppose to have filed my child. I really would like a number to contact someone in this matter or an address so I can send in a letter to explain my situation.
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 10 years ago.
I understand your frustration, but due to confidentiality rules, the IRS will not tell you if your child's social security number was used. What makes you think that your child's number was used?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: When I tried to see if I could file my shcool benefits they told me even if I could would have been able to file that I couldn't carry my children because the social security number had already been used.
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 10 years ago.


I'm sorry that I am not familiar with school benefits? Is this through your local public school, or is this something to do with your tax return? I don't know how your school would know who claimed your children on a tax return--this is confidential information. Unless the school means that someone already used your chidren's numbers for the same school benefits...

I would suggest contacting legal aid in your area to see if anyone can advise you on this matter---It does not seem right that your school should deny you benefits because someone fraudulently claimed your children on a tax return.

In the meantime, you may want to call the IRS to explain the situation 1-800-829-1040, (be prepared for long hold times). And you can follow this procedure for reporting fraud:

How to Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity

Suspected tax fraud can be reported to the IRS using IRS Form 3949-A, Information Referral. Form 3949-A is available for download from the IRS Web site at, or by mail by calling 1-800-829-3676. The completed form or a letter detailing the alleged fraudulent activity should be addressed to the Internal Revenue Service, Fresno, CA 93888. The mailing should include specific information about who is being reported, the activity being reported, how the activity became known, when the alleged violation took place, the amount of money involved and any other information that might be helpful in an investigation. The person filing the report is not required to self-identify, although it is helpful to do so. The identity of the person filing the report can be kept confidential. The person may also be entitled to a reward.